Senior Associate, Climate and Sustainability (UK/Europe)
Global Counsel is seeking a Senior Associate to support its global climate and sustainability practice. The successful candidate will work for a range of international clients, including some of the most prestigious companies and investors in financial services, manufacturing, technology and consumer goods. The role offers exposure to a wide range of high-profile policy and political issues, including emissions trading, circularity, sustainable transport, green cities, sustainable supply chains, and many others.
The role is for anyone living and with the right to work in an EU member state or the UK.
Who we are looking for
- We want people who love to learn about policy, delving into the detail and building their own network of experts they can call on for insight. Curiosity and intellectual energy are vital to this role.
- We are looking for people who write and speak with precision and flair; if you enjoy editing and restructuring writing, you might be the right fit for us. We also value people who work well with data, who can turn a complex spreadsheet into a visual that aids understanding.
- We are looking for someone who already has knowledge and expertise in providing strategic and evidence-based advice on energy and sustainability issues. You should have at least 3-5 years of experience from a background in government, international institutions, think tank, consultancy or in-house policy team.
Role and responsibilities
- Support clients to assess the risks and opportunities of evolving climate and sustainability policy and analyse public and political expectations.
- Support the development and implementation of advocacy and thought-leadership campaigns on climate and sustainability issues for clients.
- Build and maintain relationships with clients and a wider network of businesses and policymakers at senior levels.
- Support business development by identifying potential clients, contributing to pitches and campaigns.
- Lead the development of climate and sustainability events as part of the team's broader marketing campaigns and efforts to contribute to policy debate and discussion.
- Produce written content and analysis in the form of policy papers, blogs and reports.
- Act as an active ambassador for Global Counsel at relevant industry and policy events, and invest in developing the skills, expertise and reputation of yourself and others.
Skills and profile
- Knowledge and expertise of climate and sustainability issues.
- Exemplary writing and research skills, with substantial attention to detail.
- Project management experience and evidence of having delivered professional work to tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills in English.
- A motivated self-starter who works well independently and as part of a team.
- Presentation skills, both in person and over digital software like Zoom and MS Teams.
- Self-awareness and a strong commitment to professional and personal development.
- Commercial acumen and the ability to make inferences and draw conclusions about how politics and regulations affect businesses.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter, outlining your suitability for the role, for consideration by 16 April 2021 through the web form below.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an online or telephone interview the following week, followed by a second round, ideally in person in our London office, should circumstances allow. We expect the successful candidate to start as soon as possible.
Previous applicants to Global Counsel will be contacted directly in cases where we believe they may suit the position, so need not re-apply.
What we can offer
- Competitive salary and benefits including health insurance, pension, and a bonus programme.
- Access to enviable locations in our London and Brussels offices, and high-quality IT and ergonomic support for remote working.
- A strong professional development program including a personal training budget.
- The chance to learn from world-class advisers and political experts in a fast-growing firm.
- Full time opportunity with flexibility on location across Europe.
Global Counsel is committed to equal opportunities, respect and wellbeing for all staff and applicants for employment. We are committed to building a team that genuinely reflects the diversity of the places we work. We are committed to achieving a culture where there is regard for all and there is no place for discrimination and harassment of any type.
Our aim is for GC to be a company where all our staff have the opportunity to grow, develop, succeed and be their authentic selves whatever their sex, race, colour, class, religion, age, national origin, disability status, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, redundancy, leaves of absence, salary and training.