Associate (Washington, DC)
Global Counsel is seeking an Associate to join our growing team in Washington DC this October. Working with investors on potential acquisitions across the tech, financial services, trade, education and healthcare sectors.
Founded in 2010, Global Counsel assists leading companies and institutional investors around the world in analyzing public policy, as well as in mitigating risks and capitalizing on opportunities driven by policy developments. Headquartered in London, GC operates offices in Brussels, Singapore, and Doha in addition to DC.
This is a full-time role based in our office in the heart of DC, with support for remote working as work responsibilities allow. Salary is competitive and dependent on experience.
You must have the right to work in the US.
The ideal candidate:
- Will have one to three years’ relevant experience and will be looking for their next career step. With an interest in managing projects and interacting directly with clients and policymakers.
- A deep interest in policy and politics. Detailed knowledge of federal and state legislative and regulatory structures obtained in previous work experience or academic study. A boarder awareness of international affairs is advantageous but not essential.
- A natural thirst for knowledge. Enjoy taking a proactive approach to monitoring policy and political developments and looking out for areas that might be of interest to our current or potential clients.
Role and responsibilities
- Deliver research, analysis, and advice on a wide range of political, regulatory and policy developments, for both internal and external use.
- Monitor relevant political developments and proactively make suggestions on when to brief clients.
- Support project delivery by identifying, approaching and interviewing stakeholders, conducting policy and industry research, and writing reports.
- Contribute to business development, becoming an active ambassador for Global Counsel USA and our parent company Global Counsel Limited.
- Proactively contribute to the company’s collective knowledge and expertise.
- Learn from the experts alongside you and the contacts you interact with to expand and deepen your own understanding.
Skills and profile
- Exemplary writing and research skills, and strong attention to detail.
- A demonstrable ability to distil complex issues for a wide range of audiences.
- Detailed knowledge of and interest in US policy and politics.
- Objectivity and a ‘neutral point of view’ regardless of one’s personal political leanings.
- Self-awareness and a strong commitment to professional and personal development.
- Commercial acumen and the ability to make inferences and draw conclusions about how politics and regulations affect businesses.
What we can offer
- A competitive salary with 20 days’ holiday allowance plus national holidays, 5 hybrid days, and discretionary end-of-year office closures.
- A comprehensive employee benefits package including 401K pension, medical, dental & optical insurance, bonus programme, as well as company social activities, and EAP & wellbeing support.
- High-quality IT and ergonomic support for remote working.
- A strong professional development program including a personal training budget.
- The chance to learn from world-class advisers and political experts in a fast-growing firm.
How to apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter, outlining your suitability for the role, for consideration by 18.00 on Friday 30th July 2021 through the web form below.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an online interview and to complete a written exercise. Successful candidates will then have a second-round interview, in person in our Washington office.
With an anticipated start in October 2021.
Global Counsel is committed to equal opportunities, respect and wellbeing for all staff and applicants for employment. We are committed to building a team that genuinely reflects the diversity of the places we work. We are committed to achieving a culture where there is regard for all and there is no place for discrimination and harassment of any type.
Our aim is for GC to be a company where all our staff have the opportunity to grow, develop, succeed and be their authentic selves whatever their sex, race, colour, class, religion, age, national origin, disability status, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, redundancy, leaves of absence, salary and training.