Senior Associate - EU policy and strategy (Brussels)
Global Counsel (GC) is a strategic advisory firm, founded in 2011 and employing 80 people across our five offices in London, Brussels, Singapore, Washington DC and Doha. We are hiring an experienced Senior Associate to join our highly regarded EU policy practice in Brussels as we pursue the next phase of growth.
This newly-created role is an opportunity to deliver rigorous analysis for multinational corporate clients and investors, manage our network of advisers in member states, and build Global Counsel's reputation and brand in Brussels.
The role is well suited to ambitious individuals who are interested in building a network in Brussels and in member states, enjoy delivering complicated and multifaceted projects, are excellent communicators and comfortable working in a fast-moving environment.
Role and responsibilities
- Co-ordinate work of Global Counsel's retained advisers in national capitals, refreshing and expanding the network in response to changing client needs.
- Identify opportunities to promote Global Counsel's analytical and strategic capabilities arising from the political agenda, driving proactive communication with clients and potential clients. This will include managing our pipeline of events with policymakers, contributing to pitches, and devising sector- or policy-specific marketing campaigns.
- Lead delivery of GC's projects in the EU member states, including those encompassing multiple markets. This includes desk research, developing hypotheses about future political and policy decisions, testing them with policymakers and other stakeholders, and ultimately distilling choices and recommendations for clients.
- Produce written briefings and summaries of research to support recommendations on investment decisions and/or advocacy priorities for clients.
- Act as an active ambassador for Global Counsel at relevant events, and invest in developing the skills, expertise and reputation of yourself and others.
- Build and maintain relationships with a wider network of businesses, policymakers and other stakeholders at senior levels.
Skills and profile
- The Senior Associate role requires a minimum of 3-4 years of experience working on the EU regulatory agenda in an EU institution, EU member state national government, business advisory or consultancy, think tank, or in-house policy team.
- Demonstrated project management and co-ordination skills in a comparable busy working environment.Knowledge and experience in EU institutions' policymaking process and politics, particularly the interactions between the EU and member states.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills in English.
- Competence in other European languages is highly desirable, particularly Spanish or French.
- A motivated self-starter who works well independently and as part of a team.
What's in it for you?
- This is a full-time role based in Brussels with the possibility for work travel within Europe and to our other offices in London, Washington DC, Singapore and Qatar.
- The role is initially a 12-month contract with potential to become a permanent post.
- Remote working is supported with equipment provided, as long as the person has the right to work in Belgium and can attend the office as required.
- Salary and other benefits are competitive and dependent on experience.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter via our website form by Friday 15 October at 17:00 CET.
Successful candidates will be invited to further selection stages.
Global Counsel is committed to equal opportunities, respect and wellbeing for all staff and applicants for employment. We are committed to building a team that genuinely reflects the diversity of the places we work. We are committed to achieving a culture where there is regard for all and there is no place for discrimination and harassment of any type.
Our aim is for GC to be a company where all our staff have the opportunity to grow, develop, succeed and be their authentic selves whatever their sex, race, colour, class, religion, age, national origin, disability status, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, redundancy, leaves of absence, salary and training.